Milwaukee Day 3: MRI, COVID, and Evening Update

This morning I just wanted a break. After rounds, Gannon was wild. I had to chase him around with his IV pole, we aren’t allowed to walk outside of our room in the hallway, the play rooms are closed, we were absolutely stir crazy. Gannon was fussy because he couldn’t eat or drink anything because he was sedated for his MRI.

I spent the morning cursing coronavirus because I just wish I had someone with me who could take over. I wish a volunteer could come sit with him while I stroll to the gift shop. I needed a break.

Gannon is currently in MRI getting imaging of his spine and brain. All I wanted this morning was a break and now all I want is Gannon to be back. It’s been a few hours, we have a few hours to go. This empty room is too empty.

I thought I wanted to leave and drive to Lake Michigan that I can see our the window but it doesn’t feel right leaving.

They’ve coordinated a genetics consult for us whole we are in town. Might be tonight, maybe tomorrow. They are so hard to get into so I’m so so thankful. So, another night.

I took a bath, did my hair, washed my clothes, caught up on Netflix, I feel human again and I smell good again.

I wanted to offer a glimpse into how COVID has effected our hospital stay.

First of all, this admission/testing was scheduled for April and canceled and rescheduled.

I’m not even going to get into the COVID swab fiasco but we had to have two negative COVID swabs to be admitted.

Second of all, only one parent is allowed. That sucks.

Third of all I have to wear a mask everywhere (understandable) and all nurses/doctors are wearing N95s.

Fourth of all, some consults with the specialists have been on zoom.

The gift shop is closed/limited hours which is a bummer because I want a T-shirt.

The main registration almost kicked my grub hub delivery driver out of the lobby before I could make it downstairs to get my food because he wasn’t with a patient. I hollered “Hey are you grub hub? That food is for me!” After I hadn’t eaten all day and spent the only 5 minutes I had to myself walking down to get my food this was kind of frustrating but I get it.

There are no volunteers which is a huge bummer – so many times they’ve offered to sit with Gannon or take him in a wagon ride to give me a break but not this stay.

It’s all okay but a huge difference from our other hospital stays.

That’s what I know. I’m counting down the minutes until Gannon comes back. Did you catch this mornings update? Check it out here:



  1. Jean Manz
    June 4, 2020 / 1:19 am

    Where are you? I’m in the Milwaukee area. If you don’t get the t-shirt, I can pick one up for you and mail it. I wish I could do more.

  2. Elle
    June 4, 2020 / 1:51 am

    I hear you and I’m sorry 🙁 I hope Gannon gets back to you soon from his MRI w/sedation.

    I’m glad you did have some time to take care of yourself even if you couldn’t really leave your room.


  3. Kim LeMere
    June 4, 2020 / 4:52 pm

    How wonderful that you can see a genetics doctor while there. I cant imagine trying to keep Gannon entertained and being on so many restrictions. It would be nice if they let you walk the halls with him. I hope he gets back from his MRI soon. You are doing a great job and having to do it alone sucks.

  4. Susan the Farm Quilter
    June 4, 2020 / 11:27 pm

    Being alone with him is probably the most difficult thing!! Yes, you are concerned about Gannon, especially when he is away from you getting things done, but having someone there with you to share the load and just to talk to (and get a hug from) would be so nice!! Looking forward to seeing how the doctors put together every single symptom/problem to a single diagnosis. Fabulous that genetics is getting involved…hope they can shed some light as well!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *